Rip Esselstyn is the first guest to be on the show twice. I interviewed him for episode #5 called Eating Strong Food (notice the name of the episode hasn’t changed much!). I’ve had such a huge response to Rip and his message, I knew I would interview him again because his work in this world is continuing to evolve and thrive. To refresh your memory, Rip is a former pro triathlete turned firefighter turned health and fitness crusader through his Engine 2 movement (named after his Austin Texas fire house). He has helped countless people turn their lives around through his simple, whole food, plant based, low fat eating philosophy. He is up to really big things in this world and has no plans to stop.
Today we talk about:
- Rip’s upcoming documentary “The Gamechangers”
- What it means to eat Plant Strong
- 7-Day Rescue Challenge – how you can test-drive a plant strong lifestyle for 7 days
- Habits: how to change them for the long haul
- The power of meal planning
- How your body functions evolve after changing to a Plant Strong philosophy
- How do you engage with someone who has a different eating philosophy
- The disturbing list of top-5 foods in America
- “The Pleasure Trap” by Douglas Lisle
- Recipe for “Cheesy” Topping: 2 cans chickpeas, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, 2 T Braggs Liquid Aminos, 2 T whole wheat flour. Throw it all in a skillet, heat it up, smash the chickpeas and use as a topping or dip!
- How to help kids eat Plant Strong
- Exercise and Vegan eating: How you get enough protein
- Plant Stock and other Engine 2 events
- The Plant Strong Virtual 5k
- Amazon’s acquisition of Whole Foods and what it means for Engine 2
Rip is chock full of life-enhancing nuggets. Statements like “sitting is the new smoking” and “get rid of anything tempting in your house because you’ll be drawn to it like a moth to flame.” He nails it on so many levels. So here’s the deal. Many of you will be intrigued by Engine 2, but possibly intimidated. Here’s my take. If you’re interested, try it. What does it hurt. Do the 7-Day Rescue challenge, as Rip says Test-drive it. You may love it, you may not. But you’ll learn something about yourself along the way and that’s the reason you listen to this podcast in the first place. We’re all on a quest to live a full life whatever that means to you.
I’ll end it with a quote Rip cited from Gandhi, “True happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in true harmony.” We can all agree on this one. So with that, it’s time to get out there and Run This World. Have a great workout and we’ll see you next week!Tags: 7 day rescue diet, engine 2, engine 2 diet, nicole deboom, plant stock, plant strong, rip esselstyn, run this world podcast, vegan, whole foods market