I reached out to Melissa Wolak because I wanted to get someone on the show who could talk about habits. I read “The Power of Habit” by Charles Duhigg a few years ago and I’ve been intrigued by the concept of creating positive habits and eliminating unhelpful habits so we can live happier lives. It seems to me that if we really want to achieve something or make meaningful change in our lives, we need to make sometimes difficult changes, and let’s face it, change is one of the hardest concepts for people to embrace.
Melissa is a transformational and mindset coach. Sounds fancy, but it’s really simple. Her mission is to help you build a foundation for change that will empower you no matter how you choose to dance on your path and what rhythm you go with. She can help you find your path, stay on your path, or develop tools to blaze your path in a bigger way.
I love Melissa’s approach. She is practical, empowering, gentle when needed and incredibly mindful. Today we talk about:
- Pause and Breathe: This theme is repeated many times through the episode. This is the key to forward change as it precedes the most important concept – Awareness.
- How does one become a transformational and mindset coach? Melissa’s career path from speech language cognitive therapy to life coach
- Her long, winding path to understanding gut health: gluten intolerance caused many other issues
- Habit change in all its glory: baby steps
- What the heck is mindfulness? Melissa’s definition “Being present in the moment without judgment or criticism”
- When the teacher becomes the student: Melissa’s concussion and recovery
- Her three nonnegotiable habits: Diet, Outside time, Gratitude
- And so much more
If you take one thing away from this episode it is this: Pause. Breathe. Check in with yourself. Why are you feeling the way you feel? Get to the bottom of it before you take the next action. Pause. Breathe. Check in. Pause Breathe. Check in. I know I will be working on implementing this new habit. Let me know if you are too!
For more Melissa, check her out here!