Meet Barb Lazarus, pioneer in the world of girls’ empowerment. Barb graduated from a career as a successful attorney and has made it her second life’s mission to empower and give back to girls. She’s the founder of Game On Sports Camp 4 Girls. These are year round camps for girls ages 4-14, that started in Chicago and has now expanded into Ohio and Colorado. The girls are introduced to all sports, some of which I haven’t heard of yet! The atmosphere is focused on creating CONFIDENCE through team work, team spirit, team sportsmanship and FUN.
Barb’s work has not gone unnoticed. After a long career as an attorney, notably with the US Attorney’s Office in Chicago, Barb changed her path and pursued her dream of helping girls gain the tools she had learned through her athletic background. Barb won the ESPN Toyota Everyday Hero Award for the work she does for girls. I met her in 2015 when a busload of girls showed up at Skirt Sports. You see Game On is not just about sports; it’s about exposing girls to other strong women role models and opening their eyes to what they CAN do, not what they can’t do. I was so impressed that I signed Wilder up for 4 weeks of camp this year!
Today we talk about:
- Barb’s background: I was floored by her family history
- How sports played a role in her formation as a successful attorney
- Sports camps: How they help girls gain tools for later in life
- Game On Philosophy
- The most important things you can do to help your kids gain confidence
- Breast cancer: Barb’s current journey. The main message: Take your check-ups seriously. Don’t wait until it’s too late.
- Barb’s Nugget: Believe in yourself. Go after your dream.
It was so fun to sit with Barb and learn more about why she does this important work. It was even more fun to watch her interact with Wilder. Some people are simply called to do this work and she has 100% given herself to it. I am so appreciative for Barb and her presence in this world. For more info on Game On Sports Camps, check out the show notes.
Now let’s get out there and Run This World! Have a great workout and I’ll see you next week!