Meet Joe De Sena. He’s done many things in his life but is most well-known as the founder of the Spartan Race, one of the most daunting event series ever. He basically took the concept of running a grueling long distance event, and then added obstacles that most people would think were crazy. If you don’t do an obstacle, your punishment? Burpees! I’ve known Joe since I made the very first appearance – literally EPISODE #1 – on his SPARTANUP! Podcast. I was immediately impressed and here’s why. Joe is a very successful person. He didn’t need to run around the world starting a podcast series; he was busy enough growing Spartan. But there’s something inside Joe that doesn’t want to stop learning and growing. That’s what I tap into today for all of you.
NOTE: The sound is a little funky at first, don’t worry, it evens out. AND you’ll hear lots of little pings – those are Joe getting emails – we decided to leave them in – it adds to the ambience!
Today we talk about:
- Joe’s history: Growing up in Queens, his mom’s influence, choosing the life of good versus crime
- His business path to Spartan
- His athletic path to Spartan
- What it takes to do a Spartan
- Advice for people who want to change their lives
- Burpees: Why is this the punishment if you miss an obstacle
- Life lessons learned from the world’s most successful people
- Fire.Ready.Aim – Joe’s philosophy on making sh*t happen!
- What it means to him to be a husband and a dad
I love today’s episode with Joe! His final nugget is so valuable and SO TOUGH for most of us! DELAY GRATIFICATION – Don’t take the cookie. If you want to move your life forward, you will listen to this episode. It is full of lessons and nuggets and in the end, you will probably want to sign up for a Spartan Race! There’s one in Breckenridge August 26-27 that includes a Beast, Ultra Beast and Sprint. I just may have to get out there myself (the Sprint could be calling my name!).
That’s it for today. You know what time it is. It’s time to get out there and Run This World. Have a great workout and I’ll see you next week!