Meet Mirna Valerio – the Mirnavator. Mirna stepped from relative obscurity into the national spotlight when she so brazenly announced as a 200 pound black woman that she was going to do an ultramarathon. This shouldn’t be a big deal, but it was. Mirna stoked emotions within all of the different movements that are currently growing, most of which are in support of her efforts and tout her as an inspiration to people everywhere who don’t think they can change their lives.
In the past year, Mirna has written her first book, appeared in numerous national media outlets and campaigns including Skirt Sports, Women’s Running Magazine, Buzzfeed, Lane Bryant’s recent campaign, REI’s Forces of Nature series, and more.
Take a moment to watch the REI video here, as it identifies the issue that Mirna is pushing to overcome – that people should have the right and ability to pursue their goals no matter what size, shape, age, sexual orientation, ethnic background or anything else.
Today we talk about:
- “A Beautiful Work in Progress” – Mirna’s book available in paperback Oct 1 – what it takes to write a book and how to give in to the process which ultimately looks differently than your original vision
- THE email: Watch the REI video and you’ll understand what this means
- Fear & negativity: How to overcome and how to respond
- Three Movements: Fat Acceptance, Health at Every Size, Body Positivity
- Transrockies Run: How failure and success are in the mind of the beholder
- How to create a life of OPPORTUNITY
This is an episode that features someone who many people will look to for inspiration with the thought that, “If she can do it, so can I.” Instead of taking offense, Mirna opens her arms and acknowledges that we all need to start somewhere. The key is to start. As she says, “Remain open to failure. Be prepared for adventure.” I personally love this outlook. I also want all of us to be able to say “I’m in the prime of my life right now. The world is my oyster.” We can all have some of what Mirna’s having. We just need to accept that we are all beautiful works in progress!
All right everyone, you know what time it is. It’s time to get out there and run this world! Have a great workout and I’ll see you next week!